PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 17:02
rgbrock1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitot issues

All,

I fully realize now after reading this board that the pitot issues experienced by AF447 - alluded to by the ACARS messages, statements by the BEA and, if I'm not mistaken, in the BEA prelim. I also realize that pitot issues alone may, or may not have been the initiator of the disaster which obviously befell this flight.

I am not an aviator of any type. I am however a systems engineer by profession so I do have intimate knowledge of various computer systems.
(None to do with aviation though.)

I have seen pitot issues being raised as the cause of some unpleasantness in several other flights, one or two of which have been alluded to on this board.

It seems to me that in this day and age of rapid advances in so many aspects of technology (some of which are astounding) that a more efficient pitot system, or even replacement by new technology, can not be implemented. From my understanding, pitot tube technology dates back to the 19th century and were used on ships? So in two centuries we have not been able to bring this specific technology any further? I find that rather difficult to accept. I understand that to date no commercial airliner has been lost solely due to pitot issues. But taking into account some of the more harrowing reports of these issues isn't it about time some pro-activity be undertaken in perfecting these vital instruments, or even replace them with new technology?????