PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA288 Emergency at Phoenix
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 16:56
bunkrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madbob - In answer to your question and as former c crew - yes the cabin crew can initiate an evacuation without command from the flight crew.

However and this is a big however the situation has to clearly warrant it - heavy smoke in the cabin, fuselage breaks, fire etc etc. I remember one of the sep trainers once saying that if you need to ask "should I?" then you shouldn't. This appears to be a definate "should I" situation, very unclear and rapidly changing.

If you did iniaite an evac without good reason then yes, you would be in trouble - the last thing you want onboard is a crewmember who reaches for the door at the least sign of a problem.

In my experience I've only had a couple of 'near squeaks' where evacuation was a possibility. Once coming in from BKK with a hydraulic problem (can't elaborate because my tec knowlede is next to nil!) but the upshot was the fire crew would meet the A/C on the ground and there was a possibility of light smoke entering the cabin - we were briefed not to evac unless the situation deteriorated markedly, the call being ours.

As it transpired no smoke, no fire, no evacuation and one very relieved crew member!

Last edited by bunkrest; 14th Jul 2009 at 17:07.