PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Defense Budget - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 16:07
andyy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cut massive swathes of admin & bureacracy out of the MoD in all areas
Contractorise even more functions but streamline the bidding process
Reduce the number of Senior Officers in all 3 Services massively - the "pyramid" needs to be flatter & the reporting/ admin structure really needs to be examined to see where it is adding value & where it is adding "nausea"
Combine Commands/ Functions (eg CAS & CinCStrike, 1SL & CinCFleet etc)
Bring the Army back from Germany so that they can spend their money in the UK
Must be some more Airbases that can close (unless they are needed to house the Army returning from Germany)
Close BRNC Dartmouth & conduct initial Naval Officer training either at HMS Raleigh or in a joint service estlishment with professional training at HMS Collingwood (eventually Collingwood would have to close, too, & move its functions to Raleigh)
Close Portsmouth Naval Base & shift all RN ships to Devonport (pity they have just announced the opposite move for FF/DDs)

& that's just off the top off my head & there's plenty that will disagree with me, I'm sure. Trouble is that there would be even more in-fighting between the Services & within each Service than hitherto and, most importantly, the changes would all COST money & require investment to bring to fruition. Even if they were considered to be good ideas the Politicians would just think in the short term.