PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enroute Alternate Weather Requirements
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 15:33
Jimmy Do Little

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the confusion here is in the difference between, Alternate "Planning" and Alternate "Actual".

----------------------

From my companies FOM (Per applicable Regulations)

Definitions from FOM... (Non-ETOPS. ER ops covered in separate section)

Alternate aerodrome : An aerodrome to which an aircraft may proceed when it becomes either impossible or inadvisable to proceed to or to land at the aerodrome of intended landing.

Alternate aerodromes include the following :
Take-off alternate : An alternate aerodrome at which an aircraft can land should this become necessary shortly after take-off and it is not possible to use the aerodrome of departure.

En-route alternate : An aerodrome at which an aircraft would be able to land after experiencing an abnormal or emergency condition while en route.

Destination alternate : An alternate aerodrome to which an aircraft may proceed should it become impossible or inadvisable to land at the aerodrome of intended landing.

Duties and Responsibilities....
....Ensure that the provisions specified in the Operations Manual(s) in respect of fuel, oil and oxygen requirements, minimum safe altitudes, aerodrome operating minima and availability of alternate aerodromes, where required, can be complied with for the planned flight;

Pilots are responsible for monitoring weather of destination airport, enroute
alternates (if applicable), destination alternates(if applicable) (VOLMET or other appropriate service) NOTAM’s etc, during flight to ensure that there have been no changes which may affect the safety of the operation.

In the event of changed conditions at the destination or any alternate airport due to weather or some other factor the commander must take the responsibility as to the appropriate course of action.

Remember, there is a difference between "Suitable Enroute Alternate" and "ETOPS Alternate", or whatever your company (authority) decides to call it. (See Boeing Reference 22 Oct 2005).

My door is wide open for further discussion, as these things are often misunderstood.

Last edited by Jimmy Do Little; 14th Jul 2009 at 16:19.