PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Vmg exceed the V of a jet exhaust?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 15:23
Keith.Williams.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barit1

I suspect you also have a problem with the curious fact that a fore-aft-sliding bubble canopy, left in an unlatched state, is likely to be forced forward by the difference in static pressures.
Well, in this situation the front facing (inside surface) of the canopy is shielded by the windscreen so it is not being subjected to total pressure pushing it aft.

And the slipstream will probably be sucking air out of the cockpit. So the pressure in front of the canopy will be less that that behind it.

If you think about it for a moment you will see that this siutation is totally different to that of an intake.

Now imagine that the windscreen blows off and the canopy becomes unlocked. Which way will it now slide?

You will of course need to switch off your sarcasm mode for a moment to see what I mean.

CJ

Not sure this was already mentioned, but in the SR-71, in a slightly off-design state (not standard Mach 3 cruise), ALL the thrust comes from intake and exhaust and NONE from the engine. The engine actually causes a small amount of drag, and moves backwards on the engine mountings
I believe that at that point it is using reaheat so it is effectively using a ramjet. The ramjet then becomes the engine.

Now if the pilot were to shut down the fuel flow to the reheat would it still produce thrust?