PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 35 knot Crosswind take off. Which wing drops on lift off?
Old 14th Jul 2009, 14:54
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
Insomniac, sorry mate, I knew as I was writing it that it could come across as very condescending but it was meant to be a bit theatrical...the old sergeant major saying " stand corrected son, you're out of line" kinda thing and was a response to you asking to be corrected if you were wrong in your previous post. No harm meant. You're right, I didn't really correct you, just informed you you were wrong. Basically the wing drop on the 73 in a cross wind take-off is quite pronounced if you do nothing, it is more that the upwind wing lifts quite markedly and you need to increase the aileron you have in quite a bit as the rotation progresses and through to maybe 100feet.
Rainbow, you have nearly three times the jet experience that I do so my comments are made with all due respect.
Your de-construction didn't really bring me any closer to seeing your point other than that your method is simple.
When you hold into wind aileron you are trying to counter the upwind lifting effect.
If you do that too much you achieve this and then start exerting a downward force.
That force requires a slight opposite rudder input to counter. Yes or no?
All I'm saying is that I think some people use too much aileron which in turn causes them to need extra rudder.
I'm not suggesting it can be done perfectly or anything silly like that and I am a big fan of keeping it simple in practice.....but I do like to break things down to their elements when I have the time to think about it, like in the cruise with a coffee.
If you were rolling on a calm day and at 100kts put ten degrees of aileron in do you think you would need rudder to keep the centerline?
Cheers mate, Framer.