PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No. 5 B.F.T.S Clewiston FL USA
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 13:52
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
To AQAfive & Evileyes

Thank you both for responding,

Aqafive I will PM you. According to a book I am reading - "RAF Wings Over Florida" by Will Largent, ISBN 1-55753-203-6, course 22 Wings Day was 31st March 1945 so if your father was on course 21 his Wings Day would have been 6-7 weeks earlier. The course was 28 weeks so you can work back to his start date. I have emailed the Chairman of No. 5 B.F.T.S. Association who I think may be key to my enquiries - but no response yet - possibly on hols. at this time of year.
See - RAFRA - Royal Air Forces Register of Associations (formerly BCAUR)
Evileyes, thanks, I will write to the editor of the Clewiston News. My project is to try and find anyone who might remember my father, the late F/O Geoffrey Burgess who gained his wings at Clewiston 25th May 1943 and lost his life flying Mosquito TE 872 14th Jan. 1948 at RAF Pershore. I was just 4 months old at the time, so sadly I have no memory of my dad.
I now have some photos, with christian names on them, that he took while at Riddle Field Clewiston and it would be great if someone who was on that course could put surnames to the faces. I realise this is a long shot now, as I am looking for someone who would be at least 85 years young - but it's worth a go
Again sincere thanks for your assistance
Ian BB