PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 14th Jul 2009, 13:28
Winnie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have friends that work at Cougar, and it was an emotional time after the accident, waiting to find out if it was anyone of my friends that perished. Thankfully it was not, but that does not make it any easier.

In 1978 I lost my Godfather in an accident off Norway, in a series of accidents S-61's tossed main rotor blades. AS I was only 3 years old at the time I have no recollection of the hardships that were then, but I can certainly empathise with all who have lost someone in this tragic accident.

AS far as procedures, the only twin I am certified on, is a Twinstar, so not really relevant, only similarities are they are both helicopters, and both are twins,
Anyways, I always understood, that to reduce the impact or wear on the MRGB if you were to have any MAJOR problems, like fluid loss or excessive temps, was to slow down to "bucket" speed, and keep that, as there would be least wear and tear. This I believe is also the best rate of climbs speed, and least rate of descend in an auto. Not obviously knowing what went through the two pilot's minds during the last minutes, what made them choose to fly at this higher speed?

Reaching shore faster? as the pictures show, there was a loss of tail rotor drive, which would NOT have been as severe if they were flying at "bucket" speed...

Anyways, just my thoughts.
Cheers