PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guys, Don't Do it.
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 11:18
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 172 Likes on 66 Posts
I cannot echo that enough.

The good days have well and truly gone people. There is zero glamour, no respect, few benefits and you're always only a medical or sim check away from disaster. You will have to go to bed at 8pm you will have to get out of it at 4am. You will be away and you will be bored and your wife will be narky at yet another social event your roster stops you attending or yet another Christmas Eve spent working instead of tucking the children up into bed.

There is no escape. The Charters, the Long Hauls the Execjets are all working harder and racing with the Lowcos in a race to the bottom. This summer sees FO's on Boeings and Airbus in the UK working for £1,000 a month pay on 6 months summer work experience with no prospect of a job at the end of it following paying for their type rating. There is probably lower still to go.

British Airways (BA FFSK!) pilots have already agreed a CUT in their wages and lifestyle.

Historically airlines go bust after the recession is over. As everyone in the world is telling you this is the worst recession since WW2 what do you think will happen in 2010 and 2011 when the recession is over? Worst airline collapses since WW2 would be a logical conclusion.

I love this job. I think the pay and lifestyle are marvelous. I wouldn't begrudge a single Wannabe the chance to achieve the same. I fear though that it just isn't doable at the moment and for every Wannabe that makes it there will be a half dozen that are just burning £20 notes as fast as they can strike the match.

Sorry,