PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA288 Emergency at Phoenix
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 10:10
DartHerald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been through a high speed rejected take off and subsequent emergency exit down the slides from a DC10, I can sympathise greatly with the people contributing here who were on the a/c or whose family were onboard.

It is one thing to have SOP's for such situations, it is another to deal with the practicalities and numerous varied circumstances inter-twining with individual crew and passenger reaction.

This sounds a very unpleasent incident to have gone through for both crew and passengers alike which was accentuated by the uncertainty of what was happening, i.e. why was there the smell/smoke and therefore how to deal with it. Hopefully lessons will be learned but I suspect that no training manual will ever be able to deal with all possible scenarios and therefore common sense will often be a major attribute.

Finally I would add my concerns regarding being so close to the aircraft once evacuated. In my own incident we were all left standing near the aircraft at the end of the runway with no-one telling us what to do or where to go. This is perhaps something the airfield operator should be responsible for as they are in the best position to control all movements around the affected area?