PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA288 Emergency at Phoenix
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 09:06
williamd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have tried to provide a detailed version of what transpired, as best as I can recall, with some input from my wife, from my position in the rear cabin.

I have read twice now, apparently from different sources, that some people got off the plane without hearing the emergency evacuation command. This leads me to believe that a cabin crew member, on seeing smoke presumably, did indeed open the door before the evac order was given from the cockpit. This may in fact have been what led to the evac being called.

I would be very interested in hearing professional opinions on this incident, especially in relation to the procedures that should have been followed in comparison to the way it played out. Also if anyone else was on the plane it would be very interesting to hear their comments/version.

Please leave aside comments on hand baggage. Fortunately taking hand baggage off the plane did not cause any major issues in this instance. I fully appreciate it could have, but I believe I have explained clearly why some people had their bags with them.