PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turn without permission - did it happen to you too?
Old 14th Jul 2009, 07:02
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you just tell me on what range do you usually have your wx radar set? How often do you look at the picture displayed? Do you look out the window sometimes? I think unless you've been sleeping in the last 10 mins of flight you can see things well ahead and not only when you actually need the turn.
I understand that you're frustrated that pilots often ask for deviations late (or don't ask at all). I guess there are three things to bear in mind:

* Weather is dynamic. 10 minutes is a long time in the life of a thunderstorm

* Radar is imperfect, and in particular, flyable precipitation can hide the stuff that it's necessary to avoid.

* Pilots are human. They want the plan to work. Sometimes, they take a little too long to realise that it's not going to work and they need to ask for something different.

I'm not trying to excuse poor communication, or no communication. I hope your feedback has the desired effect. But I stick by my comments that some contributors seem to over-estimate the relative importance of collision risk.