PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod - how many crew?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 06:02
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
Radio
Radar
Martel (AEO)
Two 1C Sonics
Two Jez
ESM ARAR/ARAX

8? Or were the two sonics and two Jez manned by three people? (eg the three Wet?)
Clearly I did not make this clear. The Sonics was a short range ASW localisation aid and of no use whatever in open ocean search or tracking scenario apart from the potential to monitor the audio from low channel jez buoys, but if I tell you why I'll have to kill you.

Yes 3 dry, 3 wet. As we only had 2 dry sensors the lot for radio usually fell to dry on wet sorties.

I thought about the loadies but as they were only a short term stop gap I left them out. Fascinating experiment if it could be called that. One of two were not interested. Several were brilliant and it is 'fair' to say that one of two got commisions on the strength of their reports.

What was particularly interesting was that we had an extra, relativly useless man foisted on us whose sole experience, as far as we knew, was ordering flight rations and operating the galley.

They soon started to carve a niche. They did the rations it is true, but soon got into ship recce and camera work. During the intensive ops ordnance loading was quite high pressure with many bouys being dropped and the need to flag up which was loaded where. Also hard work lugging them from the rack under mild g and turbulence. Nne of your mini-bouys is for wimps

Although Cambs and barra came in much heavier.