PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another newby thread...
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 05:12
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"7Eng" many years ago there where kids (trust me at 15 yr still a kid......lucky bugga!)just like you lined up against every fence line that surrounded an airport here in Oz just dreaming, drooling in fact to be a pilot. (I was one of them) At the time with a little luck (having some money behind you by way of family or plain plane mad!) you had a good chance of getting to the top after many years of hard work & would be there for life enjoying every minute of it. An airline pilot had a God like status once, where amongst the most respected people on the planet, these days? well the pages here attest to that not being the case anymore by way of lousy T&C's & one of the most unstable industries ever to evolve in this uncertain climate of ours.
If you really must fly then nobody in here should stop you from trying. BUT there are options if flying is just a passion for you.There are many other industries that have better job security and pay a hell of a lot more almost from day one after trained up. Get well placed within another role & fly for fun, privately, that way you can have yr cake & eat it to. Flying for a living can at times take the fun out of it.
Take a look at the amount of up & coming young pilots now whom walk off the street & want to fly for a living who are Caucasian. Whom want to be an airline pilot. They are getting fewer & fewer these days and there is a major underlying reason for that and that being flying for a living in an airline is no longer glamorous or worth while after a difficult and long road.

There's nothing wrong with dreaming ( I dreamed and got where I wanted considering my education level) so get yr private license & make part of that dream come true, the cost doing so with regards to what you will earn over yr entire working life is little, it's from that point on you can make an informed decision yourself.

To fly is one of the most rewarding & enjoyable experiences known to mankind, (from here on in at 15 you won't think clearly as girls cloud the mind) so why taint it with a "I have to go flying today" because it's no longer an enjoyable pleasure if you "have" too fly!.

cheers & good luck

Wmk2