PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA Qualified want to work in USA as FI?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2009, 04:34
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-1 visa paid work

The people I've heard of were mostly rotary wing guys (if that makes a difference), and this was unpaid work... the thing that made it appealing to those who took the jobs were the "free" hours. So they weren't getting a wage... but got some flying/experience that didn't cost them anymore $$$. Such schools would be only too happy to hire you for a while after you're done training... the school saves money, and has a fresh supply of free instructors every couple of months... and poor naive Mr/Mrs CFI, desperate for their first job takes the harsh terms/conditions, as they have no other option being on a student visa, and are committed to that school. I believe the F-1 visa is on it's way out now though.

I'm interested to know more about the H-1 option, especially w/out having a degree or 12 years work experience... if anyone knows anything further? I know for a fact, that there was a gentleman who was the chief flight instructor for a school at Goodyear, AZ... and he was able to work for a year in Europe with the same company, then come here to the US on an L-1 (inter-company transferee?!) visa, with the added bonus of that being a "dual intent" visa. (I don't know if 30+ years experience helped in any way!?)

Apologies to MAXTHRUST for hijacking your thread. Hope this is of some use! What exactly is this "JAA school in FL" offering you?? What strings can they pull as far as the visa stuff goes??

Last edited by sapperkenno; 18th Jul 2009 at 19:33. Reason: I meant J-1 visa, not F-1