PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 14th Jul 2009, 01:21
you want what??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixing lever,

regardless of the sea state, if you arent going to land immediatly, you should be skiming the tops of the waves and crawling!! am i wrong?

SAS,

i know some people including yourself, have asked that question, but there seems to be far to much focus on the wrong things. and as for what you said about making decisions. yes pilots can die from their decision, but think about how it affects engineers? we dont just bury it and get on with our lives. if we make a mistake and it kills the passengers and crew, how do you think that would affect us for the rest of our lives, having their ghosts haunting you till you die. i know of a number of engineers who have eventually committed suicide after making mistakes like that. not to mention that we could also go to jail. I'm not going to get into a fight over whats worse, but see it from both sides. i agree there are some technical issues that need to be adressed, and if there is wrongdoing, be accountable. but that needs to apply to everyone, not just the manufacturer. i also have dedication, extensive training, (3 years appreticeship, and 4 years to get a licence. type training on top of that. took about 10 years before i could take responsibilty for anything. how does that compare to a pilot?) and experience, but i am not allowed by law to make my own decisions. i must follow the procedures laid down, or i am liable to diciplinary action or even prosecution. i know things dont always work out that way to the letter, but you have to justify it and mitigate any potential outcomes, like if there is a bad sea state below you, keep it low and slow. not balls out at 800 ft.

no matter the circumstances, with a compromised gearbox, do you believe that was a bad decision? As someone else said earlier, sikorsky can always build you a new aircraft, thats what insurance is for isnt it?. i know hind-sight is 20-20!

on a slightly different matter, based on the reports over the families suing. if they take those arguments as reported to court, i believe they will loose.

these are the ramblings and opinions of myself and myself alone! i may not be a wise old man, but i hope im not too naive !

Last edited by you want what??; 14th Jul 2009 at 01:43.