PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guys, Don't Do it.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2009, 22:04
Guttn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Between the smalltime bashing and "I`m more a pilot than you" BS there is some good advice for the newbies.

1. Can`t pay off loans as a professional pilot. WTF!??! Yes, pilot education is now a high-cost one, and necessary to become... a pilot. There are several ways of doing so though. What other loans (luxuries) need to be paid off? A self-funded typerating on a medium jet perhaps? Nice car? High-end place to live? C`mon, you won`t be a senior Capt for awhile, and your paycheck reflects exactly that. My point being; yes you can live off a pilot paycheck, but pace yourself.

2. A lot of pilots who have been in the industry awhile start complaining about mundane things. Keep in mind they are complaining about details, as opposed to a more normal lifestyle where workers complain about the big picture.

3. Not what it appeared to be? Things never are. Some win, some lose. Some are fortunate and get a good flying job right away, some have to put in the hours to get somewhere, and some just call it a day early on. It takes all kinds.

4. Admitting mistakes is something a pilot doesn`t like to do, and tries not to do. A bad career move etc takes a man to admit to. And should by no means be bashed by saying that this is not for him (though I sense that in this case it has to do mostly with money issues).

5. The grass will always appear to be greener elsewhere. Always. But it can only get green up to a certain point. This is not infinite. Windowshopping can be fun (meaning looking and comparing your job with others), but keep in mind what makes you happy.

6. Pilots will almost always say that they fly the best airplanes no matter what. It`s built in our nature to want to appear best. Better than you, better than anyone.

Catch my drift? People have different perceptions and expectations. My best career advice would be; whatever floats your boat. Apply to the companies who will give you a combination of the flying you like (be it instructing, bush, turbopros or jets) and ok terms and conditions. Good luck.