PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rote use of autobrakes when operationally unnecessary
Old 13th Jul 2009, 21:49
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Autobrakes are great but brilliant in crosswinds/asymmetric landings. I don't know about others but I'd find it very hard to get consistent manual braking with large rudder inputs using toe brakes... You're trying to produce two identical and steady forces on your toes combined with two different and changing ones on each leg - no mean feat! With the autobrake you just have to steer.

Reversers (B777): We have carbon brakes so unless it's going to impact the turnaround, idle only. 'Reverse', i.e. full is close to the deceleration of the autobrake 1 setting, so we try to avoid that combination as it increases brake wear by coming on-and-off. I tend to keep them in down to taxi speed as it gives a smoother transition when stowed and the manual says they're OK to use to a full stop. If we have used reverse above idle, I try and let the engine wind down before going into forward thrust as this can lead to quite a 'thump'.