PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What cleaner should be used to clean the inside of vaccum gyro horizons and altimeter
Old 13th Jul 2009, 18:41
airflorida1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you

My friend is very well aware of the FAA regulations. Thank you for answering my/his question.

But frankly I believe that those FAA rules are outdated. There are lot of types of work that can be done by the owners. Examples: to replace bulbs in the instruments, cleaning the glass, replacing instrumets filters, gaskets, the back with cracked/broken ports. Of course, if the mechanism is broken the instrument cannot be fixed in the field. Special test equipment is needed to make adgustments and tests. But minor problems can be and I think should be fixed in the field! Other examples: Navcomms - photocells repalcements, replacement of the displays that are replaceable you do not need a slder iron, some other monor problems with the radios that does not affect frequencies and power. There is a lot of problems that could be fixed by the aircraft owners in the field providing they have qualified technicians who have tools and service manuals. But the FAA does not allow this and the owners have to send avionics instruments with the minor problems to the shops. The repairs cost a lot of money to the operators no matter if its a minor problem or not. That is why in many cases the owners fly with the equipment not functioning properly. Does that help to solve the problem. I do not think so. It makes it worth.

Last edited by airflorida1; 13th Jul 2009 at 19:02.