PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robin - urgh
Thread: Robin - urgh
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2009, 16:20
tow1709

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Attitude Trim

I had a two or three lessons over in France a couple of years ago in a 180hp DR-400. I had only had about 6 hours dual at the time. The instructor asked me to climb to x,000 feet, so remembering PAT, I immediately increased the throttle to full, and started to ease back on the stick.

No! I shouldn't have done that - he wanted attitude first, then immediately afterwards the full throttle. I got the impression he was worried about overspeeding the engine.

Robins have dual throttle controls coupled together, one at the left hand end of the panel and one in the middle. I think you are expected to fly it with right hand on stick and left hand on throttle. The Right Hand Seat has no choice of course, but instructor seemed amused by my flying left hand on stick and right hand on "co-pilot's" throttle.

This aircraft has just a single fuel tank, and the filler is on the vertical hull wall, so you can't verify the fuel level by looking in. You have to trust the gauge, and trust the previous person to correctly log the amount of fuel added and used if you want to fly with anything less than a full tank.

Overall a very nice aircraft indeed.