PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guys, Don't Do it.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2009, 08:38
betpump5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinion is that this thread is slightly irrelevant but I understand that sometimes, a person like the OP needs to vent some frustration on a public forum rather than shout this in front of the Chief Pilot!

I honestly believe though that the pilots that make it to the airline know what they are getting themselves in for. You would have to be a hermit to not know the industry, whether it be from Pprune or from reading the newspapers. You would simply be found out at an interview if you did not know about the industry - technically speaking or T&C wise.

Therefore, the "new generation" pilots, i.e those that will be starting on the line circa 2010+ will know what they are getting themselves in to. I still wanted this job, even on the back of my dad being made redundant 3 times in his flying career and a life that ultimately caused the break up of his marriage. I understood this back in 99.

Family circumstances are an important factor in deciding whether you are happy in your job or not. At present, I'm happy with my pattern and the salary. I take a 744 for a fly about to pretty cool destinations. I am single with no kids. But if I had two kids, I know I would have to send them to an international school, and at my level in the airline, there would be very little financial help and I would see half of my salary go to my kids' school plus the rent on a house for such a family.

In that case, a $6000 pcm salary suddenly does not sound too impressive. Especially if my wife was not working.

This is a risk I took knowing I was ex-pat in this part of the world. I have a very long list of contacts who could get me a job back in blighty in a second if it were still 2006/7. Right now? Nothing. Nada. M'OL won't even take me!