PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 13th Jul 2009, 08:30
jolly girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies if this is a bit off thread (but maybe not, the thread name is "Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation")...

Lately I have become interested in what researchers* refer to as "disturbance management," described as when "highly complex dynamic and event-driven domains such as aviation require operators to diagnose and cope with the consequences of breakdowns in human-machine performance that interact, cascade and escalate over time while maintaining the integrity and goals (i.e. efficiency, safety) of an underlaying dynamic process."

I am looking for examples of (for a lack of a better way to put it) ineffective disturbance management in the form of open-domain incident or accident reports. (I am aware of Strasburg, Air India and Cali in the '90s, but am looking for something more recent.) If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.

Jolly

PS - ALF5071H - reference your comment "there is always the risk that crews will focus on trouble shooting and the reinstatement of the high-tech systems," research in the sim indicates this is the case. (Sarter & Woods in Human Factors, 1997 and 2000.)