PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guys, Don't Do it.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2009, 06:51
Kelly Hopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And flying "the big jet" is the easiest, safest, and most boring job in the industry.
Anyone with very average flying skills can make it as captain.

Thats still a rather interesting and somewhat rewarding job, but airlines pilots are not aviator anymore. They are drivers applying procedures that a 12 years old kid could remember and apply.
That is a very simplistic view and one which I do not concour to. This industry is very very tough indeed and to find youself in the LHS of a big jet will take many years of hard work and dedication. It may seem at times pretty straightforward but that is because you are doing it daily for years. Ask a concert pianist how easy it is to play the piano?

Why all this comparison between a flying job and sitting in an office for 40 years? There are many good rewarding careers out there that give you respect, renumeration, leave, nights at home AND job satisfaction without requiring a mortgage on your balls to get into it.
Besides you are not comparing apples with apples here. There is no choice between having a career in flying and a career elsewhere as there no chances at all for a new licence holder and won't be for many years to come. Anyone who chances their luck now is just plain foolhardy and will very quickly wish they had taken heed of the cruel, harsh but honest advice being offered. It's like buying that Ferarri when there is no petrol left in the world!

And if you are wondering: I have the Ferarri, have had it nearly 3 decades and after 18 months I am still looking for the petrol station myself!