PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA benefits
Thread: BALPA benefits
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2009, 17:25
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since some of you are rabidly anti-BALPA and your shrieking is deafening, a word is merited from me. I have been a BALPA member only, not an official, for over 38 years. Worth it? You betcha! I was involved in company redundancy interviews within the last year. Completely unapproached and unasked for, BALPA contacted me offering significant assistance, which was declined, with thanks. I have seen too many desperate non-members in trouble and trying to get benefit of BALPA membership and protection after the event. For the security and peace of mind, help and advice I have got over the years, membership has been well worth it. I have seen non-members riding along (free) over the years getting all the benefits negotiated (and paid for) by their member colleagues. It's a bitter pill that must be swallowed by all those that pay for representation.

It's a free country. If you are adamant you don't want to be a member, that is your democratic right not to (and still benefit from your colleagues efforts for nothing!). It is not your right to say some of the rubbish you have put up here! I will be a full member until the day of my retirement, then I will be a retired member for life (£24 pa I believe). The Association is actually very little occupied with industrial strife issues- it does a massive amount in all other aviation areas.