PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China ATS delays
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2009, 06:52
mephisto88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having operated in and out of China since the late 80's, I would have answered the first post with a simple explanation of:

INCOMPETANT
INTRANSIGENT
& INEFFICIENT

However, I then read the comment from cxa340so and thought - how very very true!

I subsequently read midnights very thorough view from the other side, and with his well balanced description, I could not fail to agree with his extremely well put points. You must be sir, IMHO, a contender for sainthood and must possess patience beyond the norm. A genuine hats off, perhaps I should take some lessons.

Unfortunately, I am unable to put up with such consistant cr@p from their ATC without feeling obliged to frequently point out the error of their ways, or, offer alternative courses of action. Futile gestures I know, I concede they normally change nothing, other than to let them know, that I know, they really aren't very good. I know they are hampered by lateral blinkers and government/military restrictions, but really, how hard is it?

Admittedly, their rate of improvement is quantum, but when you have started from as low a position as you can get, their current standards, or lack thereof, still leaves them an awfully long way to go.

As a somewhat facetious example, it never fails to give me a laugh watching the face of the other pilot on his first flight to ZXXX, when having overcome all the arrival obstacles as so truly pointed out by a340so, we have beaten their obstructive plans to prevent us landing, that we now taxi around the airport, are 100 metres from our parking bay (which is now in full sight), and what are we are given? .....yes - a "follow me" car for the last 50m to the bay. The incredulous look on the other guys face, that just says "WTF!" is so priceless, it makes my day just a little less onerous than it otherwise would be. Gotta get your laughs where you can these days .
If anyone does actually know the real reason, I'd be interested to know, as it sure as hell isn't to stop us from getting lost in that last 50m, even the Chinese arent that stupid.

I stand by my view of them being Incompetant, Inefficient, Intransigent and lacking almost all of the lateral thought processes that most ATC systems in the world have had to have to endure and overcome their own quite significant problems.
Overall, they come under the heading of "Could do better".
But will they? - in the near future, I very much doubt it.

To all who are required to foray into such no-mans land, fingers crossed and good luck to you all.