PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China ATS delays
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2009, 05:23
Midnight Oil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lancer, from his/her profile I see that “cxa340so” has formulated a stereotypical opinion from the jump seat of an A340. Let me give what I hope is a more balanced opinion from someone who has been operating into China since 1991 on an almost daily basis…

I feel China ATC have done quite well considering their circumstances. Consider Beijing to use the example given. When you stand anywhere on Beijing airport, almost every man made structure you see did not exist 15 years ago, with the exception of the original terminal with its 2 satellite piers over on the western side. The road to the airport from the city was the little 2-lane road to the east that you can glimpse from the airport freeway. This gives an indication of how circumstances in aviation in China have changed in the last 15 years.

The situation with Air Traffic Control is similar. 15 years ago only Beijing and Shanghai used basic radar for controlling arrivals. En-route control was procedural, using position reports. Approach control to most airports was also done procedurally and on a common frequency (130.0), which made for very, very congested radio frequencies. Terminal control radar, ATIS, STAR’s, SID’s etc did not exist or where not available for use. The standard of English for controllers, engineers, ground staff etc was marginal. Most airports were joint civil/military so it was not unusual to be slotted between MIG’s for your non-precision approach to land. I am not telling war stories here, just saying how it was - you have to know where China has come from to understand where it is now.

What a change 15 years makes! China has modern aviation infrastructure and ATC equipment that puts most so-called “first world” countries to shame. In that time there has been a huge increase in air traffic density. I defy anyone to suggest any other country that could have pulled it off in that time. I point out the Heathrow Terminal 5 or Sydney second airport sagas as counter examples.

That is not to say there are not problems, as the delays out of Shanghai you experienced demonstrate. Most air traffic from South East Asia to ports in Eastern China is sent on a single, bidirectional airway up the east coast. There are only so many aircraft that can physically fit into this “pipeline” at any one time. So there will inevitably be delays, particularly if there are military exercises or the forces are put on a higher alert status. Scarce airspace will then be taken away for military use (often at very short notice).

So why not put in another airway? That is coming, but it takes time. There are many military bases scattered along this stretch of coast and much of the airspace is “owned” by the military so it takes time to wrest control of airspace for civil use. More airways cannot be added to the east of the coast for obvious political reasons, but that that will change. There are similar problems all over the country.

Regarding boarding and then being delayed – the pilots may know that delays are being incurred but probably not for how long. You will find that ATC themselves have no idea when airspace is to be closed or reopened. I have had company aircraft ahead of me incur a 2 hour delay while I had only 10 minutes. I have been given a 2 hour delay and then cleared to push after 20 minutes. In my experience it is better to have everyone on board so as to be ready to go when things start moving again. In ports where there is a shortage of parking space such as Hangzhou, you may be required to board passengers and be towed elsewhere as the aerobridge is needed for arrivals.

I hope this goes some way to explaining your delays. The problems are related to a huge increase in aviation infrastructure and air traffic in a relatively short time, along with an airspace system dominated by the needs of the military. The accusations by “cxa340so” of “incompetence, poor training and lack of communication” are unfair and poorly thought out. China is just scrambling to catch up with a massive growth spurt and considering where they have come from I think they are not doing a bad job in the circumstances.