PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daallo and IL-18s
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2009, 00:15
ArthurBorges

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Country Background

You may find the first posting at this URL useful for local orientation on the ground:

How Does Somalia’s Private Sector Cope

More philosophically, I'd sooner fly a local airline than an international one within, or between, developing countries because local pilots are likelier to have more experience in any local pitfalls and quirks to avoid.

There was a medium-haul airliner that slammed into a mountain in Corsica decades ago (a Caravelle, I think). It was on charter with a Yugoslav crew with good experience of international flying, where an air traffic controller's instructions are the word of God and you simply execute his instructions without further ado. Which is what the crew did. Well, the accident boiled down to a simple misunderstanding: the captain simply complied whereas Air Inter pilots at the time that when a Corsican air traffic controller says "Descend to 3,000 feet", it meant "Look out the window first and descend to 3,000 if you can." Again, this story is oooooooold and told to me in 1980 or so.

On the Tupolev flight, it was LOT in 1976 out of CDG -- I distinctly remember vibration. Would it have been a Tu-134 then?

Last edited by ArthurBorges; 11th Jul 2009 at 00:31.