PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daallo and IL-18s
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2009, 18:01
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you read what the FCO site has to say
Yes, I have read what the FCO has to say, but I have also tried to consider the position in which the FCO finds itself.

What was British Somaliland merged with the rest of Somalia shortly after independence from the UK. When in the 1990s, Somalia self-destructed, 2 areas set up de facto states of their own - Somaliland and Puntland. Granted, the rump of Somalia (including Mogadishu) is highly dangerous, and only the crazy or the heavily armed would choose to go there.

Somaliland and (to a lesser extent) Puntland on the other hand seem to have a functioning Government, with the rule of law generally applying. Cars stop at functioning traffic lights, etc...

As the European colonial era in Africa came to an end, a decision was taken that borders would remain as defined by European powers, to avoid the risk of unleashing multiple civil wars from local groups demanding their own independent states.

Concurrent with various existing protocols relating to Africa, Somaliland is not formally recognised by any other country in the world. Thus, the FCO are rather constrained in treating Somaliland as distinct from Somalia - for the time being they can't recognise the Somaliland Govt without breaking these protocols, without opening a far larger can of worms elsewhere.

Yes, if you visit Somaliland and things go wrong, you're on your own and your embassy are likely to find it very difficult to help you out. However, I'd rather rely on the local rule of law being respected in the 1st place, than needing to call the embassy.