PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2009, 17:04
xcitation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Plan

Anyone know what the major airline policies/guidance are for deviation due to weather?
The IB flight leaving 10 minutes later presumably had the same pre-flight weather data as AF447. They chose to load extra fuel (I recall 4000 gals) and a wide deviation around the large multi-CB weather system.
Curiously a LH flight and another AF flight the captains chose to try to pick a hole through the weather system.
Is it a question of the captain filing a flight plan and it is never reviewed or questioned? Or is there some feedback/friendly advice from the airline.
I am trying to understand the factors that influenced IB captain to opt for a very safe wide deviation pre-flight whereas other flights chose a path through it. Perhaps the flight plan process could be improved by cross checking that the best flight plan has been selected with a central office. Centralizing this function would facilitate adherence to standards set by the airline.
For passenger/crew comfort and reduced wear I would say large deviations are a no brainer given the relatively low cost.