PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. pilots will not be armed... (merged)
Old 24th May 2002, 07:03
mriya225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orca Strait,
"Box office"... I hadn't heard that one yet--I like it though, it's pithy.

Re: Switching command
I'm not very familiar with the particulars of that myself--hell, even if I were, I'd be loathe to discuss it publicly. But I completely understand your misgivings about relinquishing control of your aircraft; it assumes a lot about the flightworthiness of the aircraft and the soundness of the technology we're using to bring you into a secured area... I respect where you're coming from on that. You're right, it won't be as trustworthy as an experienced pilot--but, it's still better than the most likely alternatives.

Aside from the other reasons I've mentioned for not arming yourselves, there's also the the situation for the A-T unit, to think of. Once we get you all back on the ground--you can imagine how the presence of firearm(s)in the aircraft will both prolong and complicate matters for the team that's charged with the responsibility of securing your a/c, and getting everybody out of there alive.

When it comes to circumventing terrorism, intel and firepower may be sexy but tedium is the truly effective weapon. Success is rooted in making the logistical pain-in-the-butt factor exceed whatever benefit these ******s are hoping to get out of it. And I honestly believe that it has the best potential of saving your life, the lives of your crew and your passengers.

Not for nothing, but you don't need to sell me on the British being able to fend for themselves (with or without firearms). Your SAS is probably the most elite special forces unit on the planet--so, you're preaching to the choir here.

Grand Prix,
The problem isn't that people don't want you to protect yourself. The problem with firearms in that environment is strictly a liability vs. benefit issue.

Dale Harris,
see the explanation given to Orca Strait above.