PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2009, 08:47
STN Ramp Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EL AL v EZY

This will be an interesting fight, and one I believe that EL AL is destined to win. TLV airport just does not fit the low costs model and EL AL has a long history of fighting and winning against carriers. Any student of the TLV – NYC route will tell you this.

EL AL moved from STN to LTN to pick up the capacity left behind when TOM withdrew from the route, I have no idea what deal they got from LTN Airport but I bet it was a good one and the less than dynamic commercial team at STN could not or would not compete. They have raised there schedule on the TLV – LON route to directly compete with BMi who have recently started on the route. EZY will just be a sideshow to this battle.

The one thing that both BMi and EZY do not have, and do not fully understand, is the loyalty of the Jewish population to EL AL and everything Israeli. Israel is a different market than the others they fly.

I would be interested to see what EZY do about the catering on this route; a significant number of the passengers will only eat kosher food. Will they modify their on board catering and crew training which will add costs to the operation or will they just sell less?

Knowing TLV, EL AL and EZY quite well I can see this route being quietly dropped by EZY within 12 months.