PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2009, 19:01
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walter,
Regarding Cazatou's post #5236, just what parts of it do you regard as “Opinion and speculation “?
This
There was no distress call, emergency squawk or SARBE activation prior to the crash which occurred whilst the Handling Pilot was engaged in attempting an emergency escape manouvre. There was no evidence that the Passengers and Rear Crew had adopted crash positions or were even aware of any form of emergency, let alone the impending crash. No evidence was found of any technical malfunction that could have caused the aircraft to crash.
A radio call had been transmitted and not acknowledged earlier in the flight. All you can say accurately is that no distress call was received, not that one was not transmitted (unless, of course, you know what was going on in the cockpit). The aircraft suffered multiple impacts with the ground, thereby making it impossible to say what position the passengers and crewmen were in. There was substantial damage to the aircraft and not all of it was recovered for examination. Therefore the correct statement would be no evidence was found ....in the recovered parts of the wreckage.

Do you not think it is about time that we started to ask why they flew as they did?
Ask the MoD - they know with absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

as opposed to challenging anything and everything with that tired old mantra that nothing can be known?
Tired old mantra that it can't be proved Walter. Proved, not known. Keep up!

Why did they not use the prepared, safe flight plan
Who says they didn't. The map the crew was using was never recovered.

why did they go anywhere near the Mull?
Because that was where the waypoint was, I suspect.

There has to have been a reason and someone must know of it.
So where are they then?

Why, when so close to a hazard, did they render ineffective in their immediate circumstance their nav computer by putting in a distant waypoint unless they had something else to go on?
Perhaps they planned to turn to the selected waypoint (but, of course, I'm guessing).

What was that (then) classified equipment that was fitted?
You tell me... I have heard that there wasn't anything fitted (but of course if it was, I doubt I would be told).

any hope of the Mull group having the balls to ask ??!!
Yep, me. You know I have asked and you know the replies I was given.

Now instead of insulting people because they are not listening to you, perhaps you would like to contact the MoD yourself and ask as many questions as you want.

Directorate of Air Staff
Ministry of Defence Head Office
Level 5, Zone H
Whitehall
London SW1A 2HB

I wish you luck.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook