PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overspeeding Prop.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2009, 16:08
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
You seem very concerned about an overspeed when unfeathering.

SNS3Guppy (or by now may I call you SN?)

Not only are you a fine teacher of technical mysteries to those of us who only just understand the '3Fs' - (fixed wing, fixed gear, fixed prop) but you are clearly sensitive and perceptive as well.

Yes, as you suspect, I have a specific incident in mind.

From a book about post-war RAF crashes

"The pilot feathered the port engine but because he used the incorrect procedure to unfeather it, the propeller overspeeded and so the propeller was feathered again. An emergency landing was attempted but on final approach, the port wing struck a tree and the aircraft crashed. Although a passenger; AC1 xxxxxxxxxxx was injured, the pilot F/O Geoffrey Burgess was killed."

The pilot in question was my father, and the information above was researched, I understand, from official RAF records. While I knew that the
purpose of the flight was a feathering exercise, the above information had never been given to me. I only found this out a few days ago.

This all happened over 60 years ago now and is of little relevance to anyone, except perhaps me - but I'm sure you can understand why, in my dark ignorance of complex aircraft, I turned to the esteemed Tech Log in order to try and learn more about the procedure.

See PPRuNe Forums 'Where are they now' thread 'Flying Officer Geoffrey Burgess'.

Thanks & Regards Ian BB

PS

WingoWango - thanks for the interesting read.....Sweden.

Last edited by Ian Burgess-Barber; 9th Jul 2009 at 19:21. Reason: missing word