PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2009, 15:57
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottesford

After ‘crewing up at Langar we were transported to Bottesford Heavy Con,together with our kit which then included an extra kit bag containing flying clothing. This included battle dress blouse and trousers, a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, Acme whistle, flying helmet with earphones,,
, oxygen mask and goggles, Irvin sheep skin jacket, flying boots,, one pair silk inner gloves, one pair black cloth twenty four volt electrically heated gloves one pair of leather gauntlet gloves
oxygen mask with microphone, I can’t remember whether my white Abb wool sea boot stockings were ‘issue’ or knitted by my mother.

Transport at that time comprised of either Q.L Bedford three ton 4x4 troop carriers or Ford W.O.T1 crew buses. However sometimes three ton wagons with a canvas ‘tilt’ over the body were used.

R.A.F Bottesford was a heavy conversion unit, Nr 1668 operating Lancaster Mk 1 & Mk 111 Lancasster aircraft. Situated approximately half way between Nottingham and Grantham. Sorry can’t remember much about the airfield , only the pubs.. The most memorable being Ye Ode Trip to Jerusalem,, cut into the rock just below Nottingham Castle and reputed to be the oldest pub in England. Also another large modern pub comes to mind, situated on one of the boulevards. It had a very large singing room complete with piano, The room was packed with servicemen , only pints of bitter were speedily served by waitresses carrying two trays, , one on top of the other , with each containing six pints of beer. Cash on delivery.. Seems strange now that one of our greatest pleasures was, a few
pints of ale singing at the top of our voices, around a piano, We must have been mad, particularly as some of the songs were ridiculous E.G they’re shifting grandads grave to build a sewer, they’re shifting it regardless of expense, they’re shifting his remains to make way for ten inch drains, just to please the posher residents. etc. I’m ashamed, and we even whistled at times. Good job things have improved since then.

I fully expected that on my first day, I would be up in the air and gaining practical experience and was amazed that according to my log book my next lesson was in the Link trainer, ‘under the hood, However a day later we had our introduction to the Lancaster with the pilot being listed as a F/S Munt, so presumably our pilot F/S Bowden was second dickie and we practised fighter affiliation for 1.20 hrs. This was followed two days later with P/O Browne on a cross country flight Base-Selsey Bill-Pt Barfleur--St Lo - Tours - Base. and cor blimey two days link trainer again. If nowt else I certainly now know how to fly a Link trainer in any weather. Introduction to the aircraft and air experience followed our own skipper as pilot. (2.40 hrs). Another trip straight and level 1.50 hrs , taxying and further effect of controls., another one hour link,, 45 mins medium level turns and stalling. fighter affiliation 45 mins, fighter affiliation another 45 mins,. 2 hours high level bombing practice.

On the 10 of April 1945T we had a navigation exercise Bottesford via a triangular route finishing over the Scilly Isles, a beautiful day with George the auto pilot doing most of the work. Every one bored stiff and dozing most of the time ,With the exception of the navigator Paddy of course , who was spot on course the whole trip.

A mug of strong tea is required but before that I will post a scan for TOW1709,
it may help (or confuse) him, on how to use Photobucket and post photos

Paste in PPRuNe. to see if pic will appear click Preview Post.
Sorry TOW if it is unclear but it may help Cliff.

Last edited by cliffnemo; 10th Jul 2009 at 09:28. Reason: To change date from 44 to 45