PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CEng ,Eng Tech ,IEng ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2009, 11:04
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by eglnyt
The first bit is best explained by a visit to the Engineering Council website ECUK - Engineering Council UK - Regulating the engineering profession and setting the standards in the UK
Who at ECUK wrote that drivel!

These are the benefits a CEng enjoys:

The status of being part of a technological elite
Recognition of their expertise and hard work
High self-esteem
Higher earnings potential
Improved career prospects
Greater influence within their organisation and industry
Access to life-long learning
I'm quite proud of being a Chartered Engineer, but don't really recognise much of myself in that list. Good Eng.Techs/LAMEs have as much influence on the industry and as good earnings potential as good CEngs, plus they're usually more employable. And "technological elite", yes, I can see that going down well if I ever used the phrase at staff meetings - I'm a good Engineer, qualified to do difficult jobs, but so are lots of other people; we're not an elite.

Being a CEng is great - you get to work on fun projects, do interesting stuff, drive new and exciting technology and rarely have to conduct wire-locking outdoors in freezing rain - but EC do get a bit carried away with their own propaganda sometimes.

Just adding something constructive - no, don't do a BEng or MEng if you want to work in aircraft maintenance, the qualification is for quite different career routes: such as the progression towards become a CEng.

G