PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 9th Jul 2009, 08:20
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some excellent views coming in there - thanks to all. I do feel this topic needs to be looked at seriously.

I would echo 'clandestino' particularly in 2 places:

"It cannot recognize that the runway is wet and that landing fast and long is not a good idea. You still need head mounted computer to resolve that."

and

"People whose skills end with punching the buttons are not pilots, they are system operators and are not supposed to be allowed in the flight deck (in the perfect world, anyway). Pilots fly and continue to fly when systems fail. When computers tumble, system operators have nothing to fall back upon."

A good summary, I feel. I worry that the new generation of pilots have grown up with superb WII, X-box etc simulation and an understanding that the 'box' is wonderful. It cannot be far away that they will do most of their flying training with EFIS type displays and basic GPS/LNAV facilities.

The first quote from clandestino points out that we must somehow instill this basic 'airmanship'/'seat of the pants'/'anal sphincter tightening' recognition - call it what you will - in their upbringing. Calls to 'cancel' the concept of airmanship in exchange for some structured process of analysis should be discouraged. I recall an excellent (and unpopular) company article from a BA pilot pointing out that not everyone is 'comfortable' with DODAR as a panacea for all ills since THEIR perfectly acceptable logic processes were trampled on by the rigid constraints imposed.

I am pleased to hear that alf thinks that the 'trend' is reversing. What I would like to achieve here are gentle nudges in that direction.

Lastly, for SLFinAZ - things have not changed much over the years. Long-haul pilots often went a month or more between landings. All that has really changed is that pilots now-a-days fly more frequently than of old while the need for 'hand-flying' skills has reduced.