PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2009, 06:51
JuggleDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2,

Thank you very much for your kind answer. Quite frankly, a lot of my thinking was actually derived from your post #2628. While I fully understand your position, your post gave me a feeling that having the SOPs discourage hand-flight looks like a pretty dangerous double-edge sword...

Back to the point,
For a beancounting manager, yes. For a pilot, no. For present times, also a very mild, 'yes' but like I said, it depends upon who's doing the learning.
Actually, even the bean counters may actually learn a few good things: due to the crashes in June, insurers are likely to lose a lot of money. See for example Les assureurs aériens accusent leurs plus grosses pertes depuis 2001 - Transport - E24.fr ("Airflight insurers acknowledge their biggest losses since 9/11").
Thus, they may put the airflight companies under pressure for more safety and risk reduction. I admit this is partly wishful thinking, but who knows...

BTW, I was positively surprised by some passages in yesterday's interview of AF's CEO:
Il n'y a pas de contradiction entre la sécurité et l'économie. Quand on améliore la sécurité, on améliore l'image de la compagnie et on améliore logiquement ses performances économiques.
[SNIP]
Nous allons regarder à nouveau le contenu de la formation des équipages, la qualité des informations météo disponibles et la mise à jour des informations par des échanges avec le sol. A l'occasion d'un incident et à fortiori d'un accident, le retour d'expérience fait apparaître des possibilités de défaillance. Qu'elles aient ou non un lien avec la cause de l'événement, notre devoir est de les corriger.
In other words (thx Google):
There is no conflict between safety and economic performance. When safety improves, it improves the company public image, and thus mechanically improves its economic performance.
[SNIP]
We are going to review the contents of crew training, the quality of the available weather information and the ways information is updated through radio contacts with ground. Whenever an incident occurs, and all the more when it's an accident, analysis shows latent failure pathways. Whether or not they are connected with the cause of the event, it is our duty to correct them.
I daresay there is hope yet!