PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on M/E takeoff briefing
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2009, 04:13
FL170

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers for all the advice! General vibe I'm getting is pretty obvious to those with sense.. Fly the plane (as we would in any emergency), and then sort out the problem and make a decision. However this is the brief I have whipped up :

Today I am flying a Beechcraft Duchess. Single engine minimum control speed (Vmca) is 65 knots, TOSS is 80 knots, and Best rate of climb with or without an engine inoperative is 85 KIAS.

If I have an engine failure during the takeoff roll I will close both throttles, and apply even braking

If I have an engine failure after takeoff with runway remaining I will maintain controlled flight and land back on the remainding runway

I will signify the decision point by raising the gear
If I have an engine failure after the decision point I will fly the aircraft, maintaining direction and setting attitude for a speed of 85KIAS. Without delay Mixture Up, Pitches Up, Power Up, Gear Up, Flap Up, IDENTIFY dead leg dead engine, VERIFY Exercise throttle dead engine, FEATHER Dead engine.
If the aircraft is performing I will climb straight ahead and fly a circuit to return for landing.

If the aircraft is not performing I will manoeuvre the aircraft above the Vtoss for a landing 30 degrees either side of my heading.

So yeah open to any suggested modifications..

Also would like some advice on texts related to flying twins. I have read av8n's How it Flies, just wondering if I should spend the $50 on ATC's handbook??