PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2009, 23:48
JuggleDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The man, the machine and the training

I'd like to go back a few days ago, to a previous exchange between singpilot and PJ2:
Sorry, I think Occams' Razor applies here.
Yep, and it doesn't paint a pretty picture, frankly.
So there's everything to learn, and nothing to learn...depends upon who's doing the learning. There is the pitot issue and the response, and the broader issues of cascading failures possibly overwhelming crews.
I probably have too much imagination, because when I red this, I felt like I was just a kid, watching two grown-ups discussing serious matters in a hushed voice...So I wondered what they were talking about, and I came up with a theory.
Maybe the computers have become so good at flying the planes that manual flight is now discouraged by SOPs and that training time is now reduced...
Maybe pilots nowadays don't accumulate as much manual flight time and hands-on practice as they used to...
And maybe sometimes it might make a difference between life and death...

The way I see it, if there is a lesson to draw from AF447, it could be that computers will never replace pilots, and that software test procedures will never replace manual flight training hours...
Anyway, since all this is derived from a couple of posts exchanged between grown-ups, it's likely that I just have too much imagination...

Last edited by JuggleDan; 9th Jul 2009 at 00:01. Reason: Fixed typo