PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747-100 engine problems on early versions
Old 8th Jul 2009, 18:12
gas path

Usual disclaimers apply!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

L377
Another temporary solution to this problem was the metal bar. It was inserted across the thrust lever quadrant so that the levers could not be fully closed. When it went on and off I am unable to recall.
That 'metal bar' wasn't temporary! IIRC it was fitted on the early 3a powered aircraft to stop you pulling the T/L's all the way back to the gate in flight, otherwise they would flame out
By the time you got on them the compressor and fuel control system (JFC) design had improved somewhat plus the redesigned fuel condition actuator allowed grd. idle in flt and flt. idle when the flaps were deployed.
One thing the JT9d did not like was 'milking' the T/L's. A nice quick steady snap to idle at top of descent allowed the fuel pressure to decay and open the bleeds to prevent a TOD surge. (This usually happened when the EVC had drifted 'off schedule' and a tired compressor.)

18 wheeler
Most of the hot sleeves on our JT9d's were like that. But I do I remember, when they when 'active' many a time with a railway sleeper sized lump of wood trying to knock them forwards to get the light out and lock them out for dispatch!