PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2009, 17:29
Will Fraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Along the lines of my previous post above, I would include other parts and note the relatively large discrepancy in energy absorption performance. Again the Galley, being large and relatively light, suggests it was uprooted rather "gently". Now look at pieces of the cabin liner that include penetrations (manufactured) for ports. Small, torn violently (I would say) into small irregular shapes. I doubt this liner is CFRP, it is expensive, and high impact plastic would perform as well in any conceivable line duty. This material is very strong in shear, though thin and light. Any forces that produced a large enough force to tear it into small pieces would be expected to shatter the Galley into small bits as well. The force at work for liner failure, including the highly energetic destruction and delamination of the Crew's Rest capsule, would seem to be a separate event from entry into the water at a velocity low enough to allow for a gentle uprooting of the Galley. (Noting that this would be in disagreement with the Preliminary Report).

captainflame