PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel Air vs RFDS for the Air Ambulance contract in Australia
Old 8th Jul 2009, 08:01
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to second my colleges(ozbb) comments & some:-)

I think some might not realize that the contract is for the supply of suitable airframes, pilots, engineers & support staff full stop, the RFDS in this case has nothing to do with the medical side of it, we are just the transport side of things unlike other traditional RFDS bases where the whole shooting match is operated by the RFDS (inc med staff). So anyone could actually do what we do re the flying aspect of it, just remains to be seen if the new operators (Pelair all gong well) do the task as satisfactory.
I hope that Pelair have the clout to handle this.

The RFDS had just as much right to tender for this new contract as it had for the previous ones, in this instance the contract to the RFDS was purely a commercial venture, we lost I suspect due cost, well I hope it was 'cause as fas as the AAV (Air Ambulance Vic ) are concerned we where & still are doing a damn fine job. The use of B350's will move the goal posts a little & make some of the small dirt strips we flew into inaccessible I believe here in Vic such airframes are a waste. With our average sector being around 35 mins a 350 over a 200 would make bugger all difference, (granted they would carry more) still that's for the boffins to decide, we just fly 'em.
"TQ" a shinny new PC12 sounds delightful, where do I sign up?

"S8" The cost of a B350 ready to go would be incredible, for a fully equipped B200 in AeroMed config is around $8Mill each, & takes 6 months to have ready once the airframe hits our shores green from the Factory.

To all those that think the RFDS is/was arrogant etc with this contract or whatever well I say this. The RFDS is made up of one thing that counts at the end of the day, PEOPLE, the people on the ground that actually do the hard miles day after day, just like you & me!

Myself & my colleges will still go on doing the same job right up 'till we park 'em for the last time, it's then I shall sit back some day on my mythical veranda, in my mythical rocking chair & say very proudly, I once flew for the RFDS & was part of a great institution, that none of you can ever take away from us:-)

Wmk2