PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Safety Issues Raised by ALAEA
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2009, 04:13
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could spend all day every day filling out Repcon reports with the stuff thrown on my desk.

When we make comments publicly we generally always have copies of tech log coupons, internal reports (500's, 2000's and cross), EA's, relevant manual references and often photos. If it hits the press, we don't want to be found wanting of evidence or credibility.

The engine issue we have raised as a Repcon and it is currently in the hands of the ATSB. Despite what may have been said on this site, the issue is not about the facility that mounted the engines incorrectly. In my earlier post I have not even mentioned if it was within Australia or O'seas. This is about Qantas not reporting major defects to CASA as is their requirement according to the CARs. All SDR reportable defects are publically available on CASAs website and this major issue does not appear. We are unaware of any directive for other operators who have used the facility to check their engine mounts.

The 767 return to service was signed by a LAME but he was given the documentation (an EA) that authorised him to do so. If he refused I would suggest there would have been a reasonable chance that Qantas would have disciplined him for refusing to do his job (many similar instances recently). The airline which is now being run by accountants and mathematicians have taken away a LAMEs discretion to do something he considers unsafe. On a side note I found this comment from Qantas interesting -

However Qantas operations chief Lyell Strambi responded this morning that
the inspection requirements are determined by the assessed levels of
turbulence experienced by the aircraft, that this justified its continued
service after the appropriate checks for that level were made and that this
was supported by follow-up inspections.
There is no "half" severe turbulence check. You either require one or you don't. However, even if you were going to check how severe the measurement of turbulence was, that check was one of the ones deferred anyway.

See 767 mm 05-51-04-222-010. The measurement is used to determine whether an additional airplane alignment is required.