PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel Air vs RFDS for the Air Ambulance contract in Australia
Old 8th Jul 2009, 03:50
ozblackbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, this is indeed a very disappointing time for the RFDS – an end of an era!

I too am one of the affected crew at the Essendon base and was very disappointed to hear of the loss of the contract.

I take my hat off to each and everyone involved with our current contract. We work with a wonderful team of people, not just the pilots, who support each other to no end. The check & training is superb, more so after the introduction of the simulator – probably the best I have encountered in my 18 years in the industry – job well done!. The office/admin staff who work tirelessly behind the scenes and make things happen – well done and thank you. The engineers who really are worth their weight in gold! The list goes on…. a big thank you to all directly involved with the Essendon contract.

To the flight paramedics, you ladies and gents are fantastic at what you do. It has been an absolute pleasure to be able to fly with you. Many people don’t realise what an awesome and challenging job these paramedics do and that they are indeed an integral part of the onboard crew. They are the best in the business!

We can’t forget the people outside of the contract either. To the ATC ladies and gents – thanks for guiding us to wherever we go and back. EN ATC, what can I say, awesome and accommodating team of people – thank you. To the refuellers, thank you for filling us during all hours of the day and night. There are obviously other people to thank but the list would just be too long – you know who you are. Thank you.

The work we do is exceptional and in many ways quite unique in the aviation industry. You know, we aren’t just pilots! We, more often than not, see people on the worst day of their lives. We have to deal with the grief of family members, console loved ones, console patients…. The list goes on. On the other end of the spectrum we have had patients die on board. This is by no means an easy job and at times can get very emotional and you just have to stay focussed. It’s definitely not for everyone. To see a patient smile, pass on a “thank you Capt” or even get a hug from a family member or relative is worth its weight in gold and makes this job just so rewarding.

The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia - Our Video

On the flying side of things, the King Air is an absolute pleasure to fly and perfect for the job. Apart from the medical aspects and requirements, flying presents its own set of other challenges. The biggest factor is weather but often patient requirements change enroute and this will dictate where we go or end up. Flight plan changes whilst taxiing are not uncommon.

The new contractor will certainly have some big shoes to fill. No new contract is easy and will certainly present some challenging moments and times ahead. I wish the new contractors all the best with this important and vital service for the Victorian public. I certainly hope that they respect the fact that this is an aeromedical contract and that Air Ambulance Victoria prides itself immensely in the work that it delivers and above all respects its safety record.

If it is true that 2 crew King Air 350s are on the cards then this will certainly present new territory for the Air Ambulance. I’m not sure if two crew is the way to go but I am happy to be proven wrong. I am all for giving low time pilots (cadets or otherwise) a go but an aeromedical environment is not a place for “training” someone up in the right hand seat. I wonder if CASA will or would approve the 350 for single pilot operations in an aeromedical environment? I guess only time will tell when full details emerge.

Another influential factor, on the new contract, will be salary. Finding the right people with a suitable skill set and applicable experience for the job won’t be easy if the salary is not competitive with the current aeromedical industry. Again, only time will tell when full details emerge.

I am certain though, that the new contractor will treat this contract, as all previous contractors have done, with the utmost respect. The level of service to the people of Victoria and those interstate will definitely not change.

Two years is still a long way off.... This is aviation!

Last edited by ozblackbox; 8th Jul 2009 at 04:43.