PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2009, 23:25
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HazelNuts39, "Does this help?"

Wow, yes. Thank you!

You mention forty degree angle of attack, too. That probably would interrupt ACARS transmissions or at least make them less likely to succeed. It also extends the search range more along the reverse path and to the West. (Takata has good points about the currents and drift that cannot be totally ignored.)

The extreme angle of attack still means 120 degrees (round numbers) of relatively safe turn in clear air in a minute. I suspect in turbulence the more conservative figures would be used. So we do end up with a small donut hole in the South through and South East portions of the region around 02:10:34's report.

The next serious question is whether or not they thought they had a reason to head backwards. I can think of many. But more experienced pilots would do better than my guesses and imagination. It MIGHT be simpler to presume they decided to go around the storm to the left at the last moment and banked sharply for as much as a 90 degree turn. That puts them 5 miles West at the end of the turn as well as 5 miles further North (sort of rounded upwards and kept at convenient numbers for a SWAG.) Then there are (at least) three more minutes to account for. Plotting those kinds of estimates along top of takata's data will probably help form better estimates. Since takata has the originals I hope this plotting is added and reposted. (chuckle - not that I'm about to swim out there and try to find the plane myself or participate in the effort. It just might help figure out what the pilots are likely to have done during the period they may have maintained control. There might be a dollop of education that can come from it. At least it might start to dispel what begins to sound like conspiracy theories by declaring some scenarios are flat impossible.)

JD-EE