PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice Please - PPL Training
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2009, 19:36
vabsie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Please - PPL Training

Hi

I was hoping that some of you might have a bit of advice for me. This question might well be impossible to answer but am keen to hear your thoughts anyway.

I have only recently started my flight training in the UK (London area) and are on 7.5 hours so far (1 Trial Lesson & 6.5 Hours Training).

I started with Circuits on my last lesson and absolutely love flying and can't wait to go solo (even although I'm probably not quite ready yet).

That's a quick update on my training .. but here is my question:

There is a big chance that I will go and live in New Zealand for a few years (could be up to 5 or more) next year.

I have posted a question before about what it was like flying in NZ and received some good replies. I have also done a search on PPRuNe here:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...w-zealand.html about the licensing differences between UK & NZ.

But, as for someone like myself who do not have a PPL yet, am I wasting my money to keep training in the UK when I will probably have to spend a lot to get a New Zealand conversion anyway?

If for whatever reason I don't finish my PPL in the UK before going to NZ, will my training hours in my logbook count towards the NZ PPL so that I can resume my training there?

Option 1 (My Preference)

To keep flying/training over weekend's in the UK (as at least I get to fly which keeps me happy!). Then (if I haven't completed my PPL yet), just before I go to NZ to take a few weeks off to finish & get my UK PPL. Then arrive in New Zealand, get NZ medical, do the additional Mountain Flying, Instrument Flying and Tests/Exams that might be required and also get an NZ PPL. Does this mean that I will actually hold a UK and NZ PPL? Would love to get my PPL in the UK as it means I would finish living in a great country for 10 years on a high note.

Option 2

Carry on with my training as I do at the moment and don't take a couple of weeks off at the end to finish it. Continue with NZ PPL when I get there (if UK hours count?) and do the NZ Skill Test. I guess this will mean that I won't have a UK PPL but only a New Zealand one.

Option 3

Stop now because I'm wasting ££ and all of this will be much cheaper in NZ. This is not my preferred option as it means I won't be flying for a while. Possibly makes sense from a financial point of view though.

Keen to hear your thoughts .. Option 1 is probably quite an expensive option? But I guess this might mean I could one day come back to the UK (which is a big possibility) and carry on flying here as I will also hold a UK PPL?

Thanks for reading I realise it's quite a long post!

Vabsie