PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Root & Branch review of defence spending announced"
Old 7th Jul 2009, 19:25
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too was around for 'Frontline First' and 'Options For Change' and have certainly not seen anything from the 'peace dividend afforded by the Warsaw Pact' - infact the exact opposite.

My 3 comments are that lets unite together and through the chain of command ensure that the H M Treasury, quangos, mandarins and spin doctors all fully understand during the review of exactly where the UK military is with people, equipment, committments - and where it is forecast to be for the next 5-10 years.

Now is most certainly not the time for senior officer single service bitching and land grabs as H M Treasury would be rubbing their hands with glee. However a truly Joint united senior officer delegation giving the harsh and very stark facts, figures and prognosis would be impossible for any politician to ignore unless we are truly destined to withdraw in an islotionist policy as a British Defence Force.

Secondly, the timings for this review is what makes it farcical. A 'Green Paper' by the end of the year and formal White Paper after the next election - so any meaningful decision has been put off and delayed until at least Autumn 10, with the consequences of that eventual decision many months/ years later.

In my own myiopic world of Support Helicopters FMH/FCR decision delayed again I expect with the Defence Review given as the excuse this time. Lets say that the Carriers are binned or Typhoon mothballed with JFH/GR4 fleet or Trident rejected - as every second of every day of delayed decision millions are wasted as people beaver away. In the case of helicopters I would argue (as per the NAO report in 2003) that there is a risk to ground forces if more helicopters are not procured. Even a decision now would take a couple of years to get to the frontline (look at the Danish Merlin example).

But I am not partisan, just using my comfort zone to highlight and show that MoD and H M Govt are in a state of 'paralysis by analysis'. As I have said before, I do not care about the decision (i.e. UK military either are a UN Security Council 'world player' or an Aussie style Defence Force) - but the decisions are long long overdue.

My 3rd point is that the post above regarding a 'root and branch' review of all Govt departments is spot on and the inefficiency of the NHS, Education, Immigration, Work and Pensions should all be conducted and our senior officers have a duty that they are not viewed as 'easy targets' or 'quick wins' for H M Treasury to save money and try and win votes but I have trust in their moral courage.

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 7th Jul 2009 at 19:35.