PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA starts 'expedited review' of pilot rest rules
Old 7th Jul 2009, 18:56
FEL1011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Where to live as a flyer.

WHBM,

The simple way to explain the situation is to ask non-industry types, Would they live in the parking garage or lot where they work. They commute to work via, foot, personal vehicle or public transportation. If their employer transferred them to another location in the area, would they move? What if their current employer shut down or they were redundant? Would they shoulder the expense to move 30-40 km, just to be at the new company estate? I think not. They would extend their commute. In the US we never had a cadet scheme for airline pilots. You get your primary training and experience elsewhere. As long as you do not miss a flight or training due to your commute, most airlines do not care where you live.

The rule for aircrew in the US is, find a place you want to live and commute. Airlines and bases change, your family hopefully won't. I know people who moved to Atlanta for Delta Airlines. They were assigned Salt Lake City after initial training!

The other issue is airline mergers and acquisitions. American bought TWA. The St. Louis operation was home for TWA. When all of the big jets went away, the crew that survived the redundancies, got sent elsewhere.

I have experienced multiple assigned bases in one year. There were hundreds of miles separating them. I received US$180 for my troubles. I had my home, that never changed, but had rented accommodations at each location. Air crew eat those costs to work. The pay for the regionals have those people paying out of savings to get experience to get their, hopefully better paying, next job.

Some young pilots and flight attendants will actually live with family, due to the lack of pay. Others will live like university students with 4-6 people sharing a one bedroom flat. In the Colgan Air example, the F/O made US$19,152, before taxes and adjustments. So, her net pay may not have broken US$1,250 per month, for her first year. She would have a hard time finding a place to live at any of the bases. Then to have the possibility of a base change or get reduced. Why do it?

When the supply of young pilots willing to take the abuse declines significantly, then and only then will conditions and pay get better.