PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice would be welcomed
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2009, 17:52
Firefight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice would be welcomed

Hi
This is my first post on here so i hope its in the right area first of all.
Im looking for a bit of advice, to give me an insight on roles im looking at.

I've always wanted to be a pilot, and one way or another i will get there.
The thing i cant quite might make my mind up on is on which way to go about it.

I cant decide on whether i want to go commercial, now my family and i arent made of money, so it would mean a few years of hard work to save some money then look at going to oxford and doing the joint scheme they have with HSBC and lending the rest.
Other options im looking at are the RAF and Navy, now being 24 i am too old to apply for a pilot in the RAF but still young enough to apply for the Navy, and since watching Top Gun when i was 5 years old, its has made me want to be a fast jet pilot, and i have a massive passion for fast jet piloting.

What i would like some information on is life in the Navy and RAF, i was gutted when i realised i was too old for the RAF and thought about being a weapons system operator and transferring to a pilot, but theres no gaurantees you can go on to train as a pilot after entering as a weapons system officer. I've never known too much about the Navy as i always wanted to go down the RAF route, but i dont know to much about the Navy and im not sure if im as keen on the Navy as the RAF. So whats life like in the Navy and RAF is there much difference in the flying life etc.

OR

Do i cut my losses and go for commercial in a few years, as i said im not sure if im keen on the navy, but not sure if i want to take the chance of going for weapons system officer with the possibility of transferring to pilot, because if i enter the forces i want to be able to go on to commercial when i leave the forces, so wouldnt want to leave the forces as a weapons system officer as i feel it would be harder to get into commercial flying than if i left the forces as a pilot.

I hope this hasnt been too long winded and it may be a bit jumbled up sorry, just looking for any advice on the Navy and is there any chance of going on to train as a pilot if i enter as a weapons system officer in the RAF, how hard/easy is it converting from forces pilot to commercial pilot?

Many Thanks