PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GBA Tri-islander Prop Blade Incident
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2009, 11:38
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like everyone is testing the memory here so I will have a go with my version of them. I believe the name was BN-2A Mk III Trislander, and there three different variants, long and short nose and then the FAA certified variety with auto-feather.
The CAA certified machines used the same 25 hundred rpm box to activate the rear engine failure warning light, when armed. I think all memories will concur it was a crude and debatablly effective method of alerting the pilot. From memory the mirror was of more use during start.

I believe about 78 were produced and I have been involved in one way or another with many of them. Did some hours flying them and was involved in maintenance in a few countries, including the Guernsey based machines.
The Trislander is one of those machines that performed well in the right conditions, and yes the Channel Islands seemed ideal for them. Even the long nose could be effectively utilised carrying flowers.
Of course hot and high in places like Lake Kariba were not so ideal.

I can recall a saying of that era..... If you can make money operating an Islander then you will be creaming it with a Trislander. Very little extra operating cost for an extra 6 to 8 seats, the cargo hold could seat two kiddies.

I seem to recall Aurigney operating Single Pilot IFR with 17 pax in them, - perhaps someone may have some comments there also.

As others have noted, they fly completely differently than the Islander, but then again they are for a different operation...... generally. The Islander will get in and out of almost any strip, - you had to be a little more selective when operating the Trislander.

Where are the ones rumoured to be be in Aussie, - weren't they basically new airframes ?